Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Are chiropractors all they're cracked up to be? I'm about to find out.

In February, I went to see an Applied Kinesiologist.  I was mystified.  But I'm not sure I was helped very much.  He gave me a bunch of vitamins and minerals... all good, I'm sure.  But the rash on my face was likely cured from the doxycycline tablets prescribed by the dermatologist rather than by the A.D.P. prescribed by Dr. S., the A.K.  Chalk one up for drugs.  And, though the A.K. doubles as a chiropractor, I wasn't much helped by that side of his practice either.

Not being one to give up so easily, however, I decided to seek a second opinion with regard to chiropractic care.  After all, I was still suffering (more or less) from that persistent stiff neck and sore back... not to mention having trouble with memory and concentration and mood and... what was I saying?

Anyway, the place where I was receiving my wonderful deep tissue massages was actually a chiropractic office, so I decided to make an appointment with Dr. Jodi and see what she thought about my condition.

Are you aware that chiropractic care deals with the nervous system?  Well, I knew it was all about the spine and the joints, but it never occurred to me that the nervous system was such a big part of it.  When your spine is locked up-- pinched a little bit here and a little bit there, you feel it in the muscles, but you might not connect the other problems you may be having (blurry vision, headaches, tingling in the fingers, mood, concentration) with an out-of-sorts spine.  Dr. Jodi educated me.
     "Like a circuit breaker, physical, emotional or chemical stresses can cause spinal bones to lose their normal motion or position.  This upsets nearby nerves.  These nervous system disturbances are called vertebral subluxations.  Like the early stages of tooth decay, heart disease or cancer, vertebral subluxations can adversely affect your health, even if you don't have obvious symptoms."  (Dr. Jodi's info.)

In my case, however, the obvious symptoms have been screaming at me for years...only I have been afraid to go to a chiropractor.  My niece swears by chiropractors.  I don't think her one-year old has ever been to a pediatrician...but he goes to the chiropractor fairly regularly.  I, on the other had, had bought into all the negative press I'd heard about this profession (more on that later).

So, my first visit included a spinal scan, and a one-hour consultation where we discussed all my physical complaints (which are many...don't get me started).  That was Friday.  On Monday I returned for the second consultation and a recommended treatment plan (something I never got from Dr. S, the A.K.).  She explained to me the necessity of starting out with frequent adjustments (an "adjustment" is working out the kinks in the spine and joints) to get the bones and joints to behave themselves and stay where they belong.  When your body's out of whack and (like mine) has been for many years, one adjustment a week is just not going to help much.  Having had this experience already, it was not hard to convince me this was true.  But, the good news was that the plan included decreasing visits that would taper down to once a month or less after about three months.  Doable.

Here is my schedule:

  • Three visits a week for two weeks
  • Two visits a week for four to six weeks
  • One visit a week for four weeks with a re-evaluation
  • Mandatory 1/2 hour health workshop (at least one)
  • A promise to do all my homework
We talked finances and I signed on for the long term.

So how am I feeling?  I just finished with my first week of "adjustments."  It's slow going. There is still muscle tightness and joint pain in my back and neck, but I'm noticing improvement. There is particular improvement in my shoulders with regard to posture; and even though I still have a measure of discomfort, I am beginning to feel improved range of motion in my neck. The doctor carefully explained to me that I shouldn't be discouraged when things slip back into their old habits because the body's been used to sitting in its incorrect position for a very long time.

Chiropractic care has endured a beating from the establishment medical profession.  They are accused of not being "real" medical doctors.  But what exactly is a "real medical doctor?"  Someone who gives you drugs, cuts you open and sews you back up again?  What about someone who heals?  That famous "Hippocratic Oath" by which physicians are supposed to live would be impossible to follow using today's medical standards.  Do No Harm?  Every drug they prescribe has a batch of possible side affects that rival the ailment for which it's being given.  It makes you wonder who's side they're on -- yours or the drug company's.  Drugs do not heal, they harm.  That's right.  Drugs are designed to harm virus and bacteria in your body.  Sometimes they harm your body itself (like most cancer drugs).  They may have their place for short-term ills (like my dermatitis), but are no good for long-term treatment; and if used long-term, are likely to create new problems for the body to deal with.

The more I discover about the value of natural healing, the less faith I have in today's medical "professionals."  I'm fully ready to give the maligned chiropractor a chance.  A clean healthy diet free of processed foods and added sugar is a good foundation, but perhaps it's not the whole answer.  Addressing my nervous system issues certainly can't hurt, right?  

Now, if only my health insurance would pay for it!  




3 comments:

  1. Appealing information you have provided. It gained me more knowledge and idea. Please keep up the good because i like the way you are writing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading. At a little more than halfway into my treatment plan, I am much improved. The lower back problems are gone and the main trouble spots are in the cervical joints (neck). The doctor is beginning to work on my jaw now (you wouldn't believe the tension I carry around!) My biggest encouragement to people considering chiropractic care is, find a good one (not all chiropractors are created equal) and don't give up. It takes time to straighten out a foundation. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ! Very Impressed should certainly pronounce, impressed with your site. I had no trouble navigating through all tabs and related info ended up being truly simple to do to access. Chiropractic Exeter

    ReplyDelete