Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My "Farm In The City" Adventure

Sunday Mark and I attended an event called Farm In The City, hosted by a restaurant in downtown Minneapolis. We stumbled onto it by accident last year looking for a restaurant that served organic farm-fresh food. This was right about the time I began to morph into a natural food nut, a.k.a. "foodie." The event is described as "a large scale farm to table feast where guests can meet and connect with both local farmers and chefs." And we did! It was at this event that I discovered worm composting... I'll blog on it some day. We also met the wonderful people who own Northstar Bison in Wisconsin and learned about the finer points of raising and butchering grass-fed beef (and bison).

So when we learned that the event was in full swing again this year, we didn't hesitate to sign up, and it didn't disappoint. The meal consisted of seven courses, all expertly prepared and beautifully presented by some of the best chefs in the city-- and under $50 a person, unheard of for high-quality gourmet dining! We enjoyed dishes with elegant names like, "Sturgeon & Foie Gras Terrine" and "Stuffed Saddle of Hare." I felt like a taster on Iron Chef. Each dish was paired with a wine or spirit, and there was absolutely nothing that I didn't find absolutely delicious-- even the "Grand Marais Pickled Herring with caraway infused fermented beets, fingerling crisps, smoked roe and skyr" (whatever that is!).

Grand Marais Pickled Herring
Farm In The City highlights the use of locally grown produce and sustainable farming practices. But it does something even bigger... it gives back. This year all the proceeds went to Youth Farm & Market Project, an organization that teaches young people about urban farming. Bravo to the chefs and servers who donated their time and talents and to the vendors who donated the food supplies! 

The evening was a delight. We shared a table with eight total strangers, but we were talking and laughing like old friends before we knew it. There was even a brief moment of entertainment where the occupant of an apartment across the street mooned us all... though I didn't actually see it myself, thankfully. 

As much as I enjoyed the experience, the tiny servings and fancy presentation are a bit like going to a spa... it makes you feel pampered, but it's not reality. I can't imagine eating like that on a regular basis, even if I could afford it. Still, I'm glad there are chefs and prominent restaurants that are promoting the value of cooking with sustainable farm-fresh food. And I've discovered some new restaurants in town whose food I don't have to feel guilty eating. That's worth a lot these days.

I'm not a chef and I'll never be a fabulous cook -- simply because I don't want to put that much work into any meal. Nevertheless, it's surprising what you can create with a few simple ingredients. As often happens, I was rummaging through the fridge and freezer the next day for meal ideas. I pulled a soup bone out of the freezer and threw it in the crock pot for Tuesday's dinner. What I ended up with was a delicious savory beef and rice dish that I served with sauteed peppers from my CSA. Definitely not a gourmet meal, but hearty and wholesome, and every bit as good. (I'll share that recipe later this week.) 

I raise my glass to Farm In The City and to good cooking wherever it can be found... Bon appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment