Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Can there be fig without Newton?

One of my favorite cookies of all time is the modest Fig Newton. I've always liked them, and they've been around forever...well, since before I was born, at least. In fact the Fig Newton entered American life in the year 1891 in Newton, Massachusetts. There was a time (not so long ago) I could eat a half package of Fig Newtons by myself. And call it lunch! They were the “health food” of cookies. Of course, now that I see the proverbial "Matrix" for what it is, I don't eat these little monsters any more-- even the "organic" ones.

But up until this week, I had never tasted a fresh real fig fruit. I didn't really know what they looked or felt like or how big they were. For all I knew, figs were globs of blackish seedy tar-like goop, hanging on a tree, wrapped in cookie dough. So there I was at the grocery store doing my weekly shopping when I saw them--right in with the fruit, piled up in little plastic baskets. And without more than a second's consideration, I grabbed one, stuck it in my cart, and took the mysterious little fruits home.

The Fig has an interesting history. It is native to the Middle East and one of the oldest fruits recognized by mankind. It’s mentioned in the Bible more than once and in Sumerian stone tablets dating back to 2500 B.C. Figs share the distinction of being Cleopatra’s favorite fruit and the tree from which our first parents got their first tenuous clothing (fig leaves are big leaves). The Spaniards brought the fig to the New World in 1520 and now they grow it in California. As a matter of fact, California is currently the third largest producer. There are hundreds of varieties of fig, but you’ll be lucky to see more than a few of those in the grocery store, the Black Mission Fig being one of the most common. The fig tree bears fruit twice a year, once in the early summer (a smaller crop) and again in late fall…which is why they are now in season.

Nutritionally, figs pack a pretty big punch. Although they are high in sugar, particularly when dried, they are loaded with minerals. Dried figs are higher in calcium per serving than milk. They are also a good source of potassium, trace minerals, and fiber and contain some vitamin B-6. Finally, they are a good source of phytonutrients and anti-oxidants. Health benefit claims for this fruit include improved bone density (due to all the great minerals), protection from macular degeneration, protection against post-menopausal breast cancer, and improved serum cholesterol levels—all things that would benefit a woman of my…let’s just say, maturity.

Imagining the scrumptious taste of fig bars, I tried my first taste of fresh fig. I was underwhelmed. Fresh figs are a very fragile fruit and give you only a day or so to use them, which is why they’re most often dried. So out came the iPad and soon I was looking at articles on “how to serve figs.” My guinea pig husband was served a salad of fresh greens, fresh figs, walnuts, and pear vinaigrette dressing for dinner. The walnuts helped. I decided to broil the last half-dozen or so and put them in the fridge to eat over the next couple days.

All the articles I've read about figs have praised their fabulous taste with words like “luscious” and “sweet honeyed taste” and “full of flavor.” Not my experience. Perhaps my figs were overripe, or maybe my expectations were based on the more condensed taste of dried figs (or Fig Newtons)…but such is the nature of trying new things. Sometimes we’re wowed from the start, and sometimes it takes a few tries to find our groove. For me, the jury’s still out. But I know I’ll be shopping for dried figs next. And, who knows—maybe I’ll give the fresh ones another chance. After all, figs have been around a long time. They deserve more respect than one feeble attempt to like them. Don’t you agree?

So, what about you? Have you tried figs yet? Do you have a favorite fig recipe using either fresh or dried figs (natural ingredients only)?

More fig information, if you're interested...



No comments:

Post a Comment