Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Journey to Healthy Eating

This is a long (nearly an hour) but worth watching video of a presentation by a medical doctor to doctors on the topic of dietary fat : http://www.nourishingnancy.com/2011/12/12/another-look-at-saturated-fats-that-may-save-your-life-video/


The current misinformation fed to the public about dietary fat is just one of many examples of what happens when the government gets involved in managing society.  Government funding of research always breeds results designed to perpetuate funding (i.e. give ‘em what they want to hear to keep the money flowing).  Add to the mix the collusion of government and big business, and you get subsidies designed to benefit some industries over others, regulations designed to favor big corporations while putting small enterprises out of business, and squelching of the free market in favor of a bureaucracy that dictates how you will live based on pseudo-science and politics.  


Show me someone on a low-fat diet, and I’ll show you someone with health problems struggling to maintain a healthy weight.  Before I changed my diet to lower-carb/higher-fat, I was that person—counting calories, always hungry and tired, and accosted by cancer.  After my cancer surgery, a friend suggested I read The China Study, which for those of you who don’t know, implicates meat protein as a trigger for cancer.  I bought it and read it immediately (by the way, I don’t recommend the book to anybody!)  And (being the fanatic I am) I immediately plunged into a mostly-vegan diet (packed full of processed food) with the intent to make my body healthier and avoid the possible recurrence of my cancer.  I watched as carefully as I could to avoid all casein.   

For about six months I followed this diet, eating lots of soy – particularly soy milk.  During this period I continued to struggle with weight gain and never really felt good.  Gradually, I began to cheat—adding a little fish here, an egg there, some cheese here and there.  Then, about a year ago, at a family Christmas gathering, my niece told me about the dangers of soy and recommended new reading material for me.  At once (being the fanatic I am) I began again to research diet and nutrition.  I discovered some websites that caught my interested, and the title of a book popped up (providentially, I believe) with a title that I couldn’t resist:  Why We GetFat And What To Do About It, by Gary Taubes.  Coming from a family where obesity runs rampant and having struggled my whole life with up-and-down weight gain, I had to see what this guy had to say.  


In this book, everything I’d been told about diet was challenged.  After a little more reading and research, I put the low-carb/high-fat diet to the test.  Within a month, I was feeling better, I had lost 8 pounds without counting calories, and my food (particularly sweet food) cravings were gone.  That was the beginning of my journey to health.  The more I learned, the more my diet changed, eliminating processed foods – not just carbs – and switching my meat and dairy (as much as possible) to the pastured variety.   As I write this, I am 58 years old and my only medication is HRT (hormone replacement therapy to treat severe post-menopausal hot flashes).  In time, I hope to be free of that as well.


My journey to healthy eating has been gradual, and I still have much to learn.  But one thing I’ve discovered:  government knows NOTHING about nutrition.  Furthermore, government NEVER has the best interest of its citizens at heart.  If you believe it does, you do not understand the nature of government.  Government exists to perpetuate itself and grow its own power.  Its ultimate goal is to rule over its citizens, not to care for them.  Once you understand this, you will find it much easier to question the “conventional wisdom” that prevails and step freely into the fresh air of common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment