Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Who is Jesus?

Who was Jesus?  This is a question that still troubles people, two thousand plus years after his death.  There are many reasons, I suppose, but perhaps one of the biggest is that we humans have trouble believing anything we can't thoroughly understand.  

Jesus told us in his Word who he was many times...often in riddles and parables, but often enough straight-forward.  I watched a documentary once a few years ago in which the narrator posited that Jesus was trying to commit suicide -- what else would explain the way he taunted the Jewish authorities into attacking him.  For the unbeliever, I can see how they might think so.  For example...

Jewish leader: "Are you greater than our father Abraham? ... Who do you think you are?"
Jesus:  "My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me.  Though you do not know him, I know him.  If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you...Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day..."
Jewish leader:  "You are not yet fifty years old, and you have seen Abraham?"
Jesus:  "I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I am."
   At this, they picked up stones to stone him... (John 8:53-59)

Jewish leader:  "How long will you keep us in suspense?  If you are the Christ, tell us plainly."
Jesus:  "I did tell you, but you do not believe... My sheep know my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life...I and the Father are one."
   The Jews picked up stones to stone him... (John 10:24-31)

You have probably heard it said (ad nausea um) that Jesus was nothing more than a great teacher, a wonderful moral example to mankind.  Really?  Do you realize how absurd that statement is?  A man who goes to his death claiming to be God is one of two things:  God, or a lunatic.  To believe such a man is a great teacher or moral in any way would be to say that lying and deceit is moral behavior, false teaching makes one great, and narcissism is desirable. 

What do YOU believe about Jesus?  The documentarian above was right (to a point) about Jesus.  Jesus declared in John 10:17-18:  "The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life--only to take it up again.  No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.  I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again."  Jesus was not killed.  He willingly laid down his life.  He handed himself over to be slain as a willing sacrifice.  He had the power to say no!

The Jews asked:  "Will he kill himself?  Is that why he says, 'Where I go, you cannot come'?"
Jesus:  "You are of this world; I am not of this world.  I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins."
   (John 8:22-24)

Jesus claimed to be God.  He preached truth and redemption for three years and then laid down his life for the sins of the world, according to a plan hatched before the beginning of creation.  By his authority to take up his life again, he rose from the grave and, after walking among men for 40 days, he ascended to his Father in heaven where he continues to make intercession for us as our High Priest. (Hebrews 4:15-16)

Amazing?  Incredible?  Unbelievable?

Who is Jesus?  "Stop doubting and believe." (Jesus) John 20:27.







No comments:

Post a Comment