Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

A WHAT kind of doctor???


This past week, I went to see an Applied Kinesiologist.  Ever heard of it?  From www.appliedkinesiology.com, “Applied kinesiology (AK) is a form of diagnosis using muscle testing as a primary feedback mechanism to examine how a person’s body is functioning.”  An assessment (first visit) uses “functional biomechanics” to test responses to certain stimuli.  I discovered in my assessment that I don’t get along with stripes.  Stripes are weakening, and I should avoid striped wallpaper particularly.  Muscle tests are used to monitor the physiologic response to a physical, chemical or mental stimulus, like stripes…or food additives, or even foods themselves.   

Applied Kinesiology is a type of holistic (whole body) care and is typically connected to chiropractic care since the two are closely related (both deal with muscle testing and response).  The science is quite new (about 30 years), and still somewhat controversial.  

An excerpt from Wikipedia explains a typical assessment:  “A commonly known and very basic test is the arm-pull-down test, or "Delta test," where the patient resists as the practitioner exerts a downward force on an extended arm.  … Nutrient testing is also done to examine the response of the patient’s muscles to assorted chemicals.”  Whether the arm remains strong or becomes weak determines whether the substance or condition being tested has a weakening affect on the overall body (including sensitivities or allergies).  Using this method my doctor discovered that (in addition to stripes) corn, food colors, fluoride and chlorine disagree with me.  I was quite happy to discover I am NOT allergic to dairy, since I love my yogurt and cheese!  But I was not surprised to find out about the fluoride (see my earlier post on that topic).

Skeptics have called it quackery.  I’m still debating.  When the “Delta test” is done to you, personally, it is quite convincing.  Since this doctor comes with good recommendations from people we know, I’ve decided to give him a chance.  (In fact it was this doctor who identified my husband, Mark's, milk allergy.)  After all, if it doesn't work, I'm no worse off than I was before.  The expense is minimal, especially when compared to M.D. visits and pharmaceuticals.

The starting treatments for my particular complaints include large doses of vitamin D (5,000 IU daily), a supplement made of oregano oil, and at least six weeks of chiropractic treatment for stiffness and pain in my neck, shoulders and lower back.

“Pain,” he said, “is not normal.”  He told me of two patients in their 90s who have no pain at all.  When was the last time your doctor told you pain wasn’t a normal part of getting old?!  While we’re at it, we’re also going to talk about transitioning me OFF the hormone replacement therapy that is currently keeping my hot flashes at bay. 

Now that my husband and I are on a high-deductible insurance plan with a Health Savings Account, we're in a better position to make decisions about what kind of health care providers we wish to use.  Traditional doctors have but one solution:  prescription drugs.  Is it possible to become healthy and live a vibrant life into old age without drugs?  I am on my way to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment